Thursday, April 24, 2008

The second language learning

English, I don't know where to start , cause English means a lot to me.In my country, English is a major in the university (not English literature but just English speaking ), and it is also one of the most three important courses in high school which includes Chinese, math and English. Since my high school is very famous for its English program, many of my friends are studying English as a major in China now. If I haven't come to Montreal, I would probably did the same choose as my friends in China. At the beginning, I thought my English is pretty good which is compared with my friends in China. Now this idea is seemed very stupid, because here in Montreal, and everyone can speak English, even the buggers on the street, not mention some of the Montreal speak both French and English. I know a seller in Bell Company who can speak five languages. So just can speak English means nothing to me now, I am going to achieve the goal of prefect English, I mean speak English as same as the native speakers do.
During my experience of learning English, I found that movies and TV really help for improving listening and speaking, I watch the news very often on TV, and I also watch situation comedy on computer, my favorite ones are Prison Break, Friends, South Park and the Simpson. I found those programs were very easy to follow and understand. Most of all, there were very interesting compare with the news, and I will never get bored from watching them; further more, those programs influenced me a lot not only the way I speak, but also the way I think, I mean the English Think Style, I made it by myself. When u hear the word “increase”, what’s the first idea comes out in your mind, is that the meaning of increase in your own language or two simple English words:”grow bigger”. May be it’s very difficult to explain, but what I mean is when learn English it’s very important to learn the English Thinking not just the grammar and listening. If you want speak like the native speaker you must think like the native speaker. Once you begin to do that you may find English is much more than just English it will bring you the confidence and brave.

After I achieve my goal of prefect English I am also planning to learn all the Asian languages like Japanese, Korean and vitamins. If anyone of you wants to learn Chinese in the future Peng will be your free teacherJ and may be we can teach each others too.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Yes, you remember? when we had the public lecture, one guy asked a question to the professor and he said that his English is not good. But actually, he spoke like a native speaker!!! After the lecture, we were in shock..and you said from now on, let's just keep talking...and our speaking will improve..haha!